Sunday, June 30, 2013

Girls' bathroom floor: Part 1 of 3

 

The bathroom that the girls use is layed out as 1 sink and a closet -> door -> 2nd sink with toilet and tub/shower. 

This post will consist of the redo of the 2nd room flooring (and a little more.)  Last week, I took up the linoleum that was in this section.  Let me back up and start by saying....I have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing.  I can be pretty handy, but I've never done a floor.  Fortunately, we live in a time of YouTube and Google and I can find just about anything at all hours for all projects.  There are many before, during and after pictures and I'll caption each one with the explanations. 

View from the hallway into the "foyer" area of the girls suite and into the bathroom.
 
This view is from room 1 looking into room 2...and this is the linoleum that will be replaced!!!
 

Why is this sideways!?  You can tell that linoleum comes off in two layers...the plastic layer is easy...the paper layer requires patience.  Lots of it too!  Thankfully, a friend of Greg's let us borrow a heat gun and a super duper scraper for the paper and glue.  That heat gun was THE key to this project. 

 

 And looky what I found by the potty! :-/ Not happy.  (And I'm definitely not happy that my pics are loading in quacked up directions.)  Doesn't appear to be any moldy areas; mostly just rotten wood.  I bleached all of it anyway, just to be safe.

We weren't lucky enough for the wood rot to be confined to the top layer.  The subfloor was completely rotten.  Both layers had to be replaced. ($$$)

We spent an entire day cutting and sawing....many hours spent making sure everything was perfect.  After all, you don't want the toilet to be unsteady or you may take a spontaneous ride straight to the basement!

After removal of all things black and rotten...Thank GOD that it was beautiful outside Saturday.  The girls played all day and allowed us to get this portion of the project taken care of. 
 
The floor is now ready for the tile to be installed.  It looks like several easy steps, but I'm telling you...prepping a floor that had linoleum was time consuming.  I'd rather peel wallpaper blindfolded and with one arm behind my back.

In addition, the plumbing for the toilet is new.  I now have words in my vocabulary (like flange) that I can now use if you ever want to talk to me about your toilet! 

 
 I have worked myself straight into bed.  I do not envy people who do flooring for a living AT.ALL.  I think this bathroom is going to look awesome!  I'm super excited to see it finished.  For now....I'm finished.  I need a massage and a pedicure :)

Have a wonderful week,
Jana

No comments:

Post a Comment