Thursday, July 25, 2013

Homeschool Room

Next in line: The homeschool room....We really, really, really want to paint the living room.....BUT, we found "oops" paint at Lowe's that was perfect for the hs room.  Each gallon is about $35 if you buy the printer + paint in the semi-gloss.  There were 2 full gallons of yellow (same color even) for $10.00 each.  SO, for the price of less than 1 gallon, we had enough paint for the room.  Throw in a pack of rollers and we spent a total of:
$20.00 for paint
$15.00 for supplies (because I broke down and bought a better brush for this room....I keep buying the cheap ones and throwing them away.)
$30.00 burlap curtains @ 50% off at Bed, Bath and Beyond
$10.00 curtain rod @Wal-Mart
$7.50 for the map valance
Less than $100.00 on this room....makes me VERY happy!

Before:
Good grief that's a terrible quality picture. 

After!

You may need sunglasses to walk into this room.  It's bright banana yellow, but hey, it was cheap AND it should keep them awake.  I still have some decorating to do on this wall above my desk.  Not really sure what to do here....I have those floating flowers that I'm thinking about using. The valance is actually a quilt panel that I cut to fit the hardware that was already here.  (That seems to be an expensive part of window treatments....the curtain rods!)  The panel was on sale for $6 and the accent green on the edges was in the clearance bin, both at JoAnn's. 


The World Map Theme is something that just happened.  
 

  

Just in case anyone wants to know my desk and both book shelves are from IKEA (expedit collection) and the girls' desks and green bookshelf are Legare furniture.  I love Legare and it's worth every penny.  Legare furniture does not have nuts and bolts and screws and it takes literally about 10 minutes or less to put a desk together.   


Low on the list of things to replace in the house are all of the folding doors.  There is lots of closet space in the bedrooms, which is good because we had to consolidate our "game closet" that was in our other house into the homeschool room here.  ALL of the smaller toys, puzzles, games, dress up clothes, crafts, and a large number of our books are in this closet.


Have you thought about homeschooling your child and can't decide if it's the right thing to do for your family?  Here's a snippit of our story:  I knew early on that Lendi would be a good candidate for homeschooling.  I also knew that she missed the cut off at the school we attended.  I really felt that it was best to not hold her back.  She was doing really good with reading and math already and in my heart she needed to go to Kindergarten.  Marli was going into 2nd grade and I decided to homeschool her too.  I didn't want to have 1 kid in school and 1 kid at home...I didn't know if that would actually work for us.  The bottom line is that we were just as busy at home (socially) as we would have been at school....if not more.  The whole "weird, unsocialized homeschooler" idea is an old and quite frankly lame excuse not to homeschool.  What I LOVE is that I can meet each child at their level and choose the curriculum that best suits their learning style.  Once upon a time, I was that mom that said "I would never homeschool." Yep. That was me!  I'm glad I'm on the other side of that story now, because I understand why families choose it.  I'm so thankful that God confirmed over and over that we made the right decision.  I'm also very thankful to the support from other homeschooling families that are in our area. 
Questions about homeschooling?  There are many resources out there!  I started with www.homeschoolreviews.com to explore the different curriculums available and I liked the comments.  Let me just be completely honest and say that not every day of school is perfect and goes smoothly.  However, if I had it to do over again.....I would make the same decision. (And yes, we have already started back to school!) 

Have a blessed day,
Jana





















No comments:

Post a Comment