Friday, July 12, 2013

The Whole Story on the snake drama

So yesterday on Facebook, I posted our morning adventure and last night when Greg was reading through my posts, I realized that he didn't have any credit for helping.  I told him I wanted to put it in the blog....so here is the full version of the snake trapped in the garage door.

Greg's mom had been visiting since Monday and was leaving Thursday.  On Thursdays, we (me and the girls) try to do the 10am summer movie series because it's a cheap date.  So, we said our good-byes to "Nanny" and went to the car.  Her ride to go back to KY would be there is less than 5 minutes and we were going to be late already.  (I like to be there around 9:45 to get a good seat.)  So, at about 9:30 The girls were in the car and I tried to raise the garage door and it would only go up about 2 feet.  I put it back down.  Tried again...it stopped.  Seriously.  I don't have time for this to happen.  They are looking so forward to seeing that movie!  I put it back down and started looking for what could be the problem.  I saw a black thing lodged in the track.  There it is! 

Oh frickitydoda, it's moving.....wait, is that what I think it is?  I went around the outside of the garage and he is about a foot on the other side sticking his tongue out at me.  That stinker had tried to crawl from inside the garage to outside.  Well, he sure didn't go fast enough and this means he was probably in the garage when Greg left for work!  Bwahahahaha!  How in the world did this happen!?  Well, too late for him...he's damaged from the garage door and clearly he can't get out.  He's stuck....tight in the track of the door.  

Now Faye shows up (Nanny's ride) and they smiley faced leave me there with two kids and a snake.  (I think Faye would have helped me, but I was in shock over the fact that we had a 4 ft snake in the garage and I didn't want the girls to watch her kill it either.)  

I sent the girls inside and told them what was going on....for them to watch TV and I would come get them in a few.  I go down to the building and get a spade, a hard yard rake and a pair of loppers. Yesterday I said "hedge trimmers"....I looked that up and um....I did NOT use electric hedge trimmers on that snake.  Shew that would have been messy.  So, I had to Google my exact tool this morning and they are "loppers"... :)  never knew that.  I talked to myself a lot and prayed and decided that if I'm going to make it to the movie, I better get going.  Be the mom and take care of business, so we can go eat movie popcorn see a flick we actually own on the big screen!  At 10:05ish....I called my friend that I was meeting at the movies and I explained that there was no way we were going to make it.  She and Lendi's little buddy would be on their way to our house instead.

By this time, I have called Greg's work phone, his work cell phone and his personal cell at least 10 times.  I texted the following "You need to answer your phone I'm fixing to call its semi emergency but everyone is fine" I called....he didn't answer!  I was getting very annoyed, but he did call back and I found out he was in a meeting in Cleveland with his boss :)  Sorry about that, but um....you have a snake in your garage door and I can't get out of the garage and uh....you and Shawn need to get over here and take care of it!!!  I think he and Shawn thought that was funny (I was being serious.)  Greg would be on his way.

Seriously y'all, I wasn't trying to be a superwoman....I just wanted to make the 10am movie for my girls!  So, I had already killed it and gotten my kitchen gloves and pulled and yanked as hard as I could to get him unwedged.  Wasn't happening.  

The great thing about Greg being in Cleveland was that it's not that far from our new house and it's on his way back to work.  By the time he got there, he was clearly like...."oh my word" when he pulled in the drive way....because (graphic visual here) his view would have been "a decapitated snake is hanging out my garage door and there's blood...and there's my woman with some purple kitchen gloves and a diet mountain dew" when he pulled into the driveway. 

He assessed the situation and we agreed that we needed to pull him from the inside as much as we could.  I seriously thought he was impaled by the track.  He was in the curve and there are some places there that...well, hard to explain, but I thought he was injured from the inside and going to die anyway.  I had on the gloves, so I pulled as hard as I could.  I mentioned yesterday that Greg was moral support and he was because the snake came un-lodged from the track!  I think him being there made me stronger :)  He was still stuck, but he wasn't in the track.  So, Greg got a tool out of the AT&T truck (looks like one of those things you open the water meter lid with) and pulled it through to where he was trying to exit. Clearly not what that tool was designed to do....but who cares.  THEN and here's the kicker.  We had to open the garage door.  At this point, I did experience a little anxiety....I'm not going to lie.  I held the snake and Greg opened the garage door.  He's yelling (not loud, but loud enough to hear over the opening of the door) "Pull it!  Pull it!"  Oh my word....it fell out of the door and I'm still holding it because I don't want blood everywhere.  I took it around to the driveway and stretched him out for a picture.

The kitchen glove is there for comparison.  We figure somewhere between 3 1/2 and 4 feet from tip to tip.  Holy cow. 

photo.JPG



















Walking with it to the woods to throw him to the flying critters (we have a hawk and 2 owls that live around here), our friends show up....just in time for lunch!  LOL, just kidding...but it is funny to think back about how we used to dissect animals in college and then go eat together. 

Sigh.....yes.  I had a nightmare last night.  Yesterday when we finally got out of the
house, I took the girls to lunch.  A sit down lunch at Los Potros....no fast food and screaming kids at a playground.  I was a little frazzled and needed some sweet tea with chips and salsa.  Next door to that is the Tractor Supply company and I went in there to get some snake repellent.  I ended up not buying it, but the lady explained that it messes with their nose and they just go away...perfect.  I want them to catch mice, just catch them out in the woods.  Apparently that was on my mind, because in my dream, I'm sprinkling this stuff all around the house thinking that it was going to make the snakes stay away.  I got to the lower driveway and a very large, triangular headed snake was there.  I squeezed my snake repellent right on it's head and it didn't affect it at all.  He chased me until I woke up.  
 

It's a new day.....Thank God!

Jana
















  

No comments:

Post a Comment